Photo of a bronze plaque mounted next to the entrance door of
the Stony Ridge dome. The names are those of the original 15
founding members of Stony Ridge Observatory. An asteroid, (10168)
Stony Ridge, was discovered at SRO in 1995 and named
to honor these members.
Click here to see what these folks did for SRO.
Ridge Observatory remains closed to
the general public. Power has been restored to the site. Cleanup
and equipment testing is in progress. We hope to have the observatory ready for invited guests sometime this Summer.
the past several years, SRO has been engaged in a major upgrade
to the 30-inch (0.76-m) telescop. The
original telescope's dual-chain drive, designed by George
A. Carroll (1902-1987) and later modified by Tim Cann, has
been replaced with a new harmonic drive system that will enable
the observer to easily point the telescope quickly to an astronomical
object with greater precision.
this upgrade project was coming to completion in the summer of 2009,
tragedy struck in the form of a wild fire that raced over the
observatory grounds, destroying most of the surrounding forest,
but leaving the observatory untouched
by flames. The Station Fire was the largest fire in Los Angeles County history, destroying 251 sq. mi. (650 sq. km.) of forest and killing 2 firefighters.